Monday, October 26, 2015

Weaving on the backstrap loom


Weaving this project on the backstrap loom has been a great learning experience.  Following an excellent tutorial, I'm weaving my very own back strap for my backstrap loom.


All that remains is to braid the ends and attach the loops that go on the loom bar.  

Some of the things I learned:

One needs something very sturdy to attach the loom to.  At times it takes more tension than most weaving I`ve tried.  

This is not the right yarn for this project.  I used 8-2 cotton which is suppose to be great for weaving.  The problem is that it clings together and pills as I switch from one shed to another.

It takes practice to get the posture right.  At first, I can only weave for a couple of minutes before my back hurt.  A week of daily weaving, and I can manage about 45 minutes.  

I need to work more on my selvage edges.  

Uneven tension in the warp shows up more than I expected and makes weaving frustrating.


On the whole, I'm very pleased.  I'm looking forward to trying some weft patterns soon.  Or perhaps a bit of tablet weaving.  

No comments: