Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Getting ready to weave a sweater

My hoodie is in terrible shape.  Threadbear and sad looking.  I can't find a decent replacement in the shops, so I've decided to make my own sweater with weaving.  I don't know how it's going to go, but it's fun finding out.

To start, I make a plan.


Yep, a weaving draft typed on a typewriter.  Or, actually, several weaving drafts with the same threading.  I wove a sample of what this would look like


I think these patterns are lovely.  I've sort of chosen one, but I can change my mind because all these designs take the same threading on the loom.


But for now, I have a plan and wound 6 yards of warp.

I'm using the Ashford tekapo 3 ply wool yarn in natural medium and natural dark for the warp.  The sample was done with one strand of each in the warp and random colour threading.  The weft was natural light.  For the sweater, I want something darker, so I'm useing 2 strands of dark for every one of medium.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I am not a weaver, but I have knitted several sweaters for myself and I absolutely love them. I think the way you made a pattern on the typewriter is very ingenious. I've never seen that before. You picked some lovely yarn.
deborahnhamilton.blogspot.com

Josiane said...

I love that you say "I don't know how it's going to go, but it's fun finding out." Sometimes I forget that it's okay not to know how things are going to go, and that when we move forward despite not knowing, finding out can be a lot of fun. That's a useful reminder, thank you! And thanks also for sharing your process; it'll be great to follow along as you imagine and create your sweater.