Thursday, December 29, 2016

I've been tablet weaving on the Ashford Sampleit loom



It's a cute little loom.  When I first saw it, I thought that's just what I want for tablet weaving.

Tablet weaving is a way of making a warp-faced band or tape.  Only instead of having heddles to control which threads are up or down, we have cards.  I made this set from an old deck of playing cards, but you can also buy weaving cards if you like.  Medieval ones were often made of bone or leather.



This sample was to get used to this style of weaving and to see how many cards I need for my goat.  Yes, I said goat.  Both my goats need new collars and I thought it would be a treat to make them some.  This band has 12 cards and is just over half an inch wide.  I think I'll try a pattern with 20 to 26 cards.  Here are some sample drafts I'm hoping to try.  I don't know if my idea is any good, but it whatever it turns out to be, it will be blue.


1 comment:

Josiane said...

Your sample band is lovely, and your drafts look great too! I like the pop of red you've added, it adds a nice, lively touch to the blue.